Eligibility Standards for Membership
Membership in JCRC consists of those organizations that have been approved by the Council to be members of the corporation and that have not ceased to be such members. To be considered for and maintain JCRC membership, an organization must satisfy the following criteria (the “Membership Criteria”):
- Have been in existence for at least two years;
- Have at least 200 residents of the area served by CJP who are donors, dues paying members and/or voting members;
- Be a non-profit organization (including organizations classified as a 501(c)(3), 501(c)(4), or 501(c)(6) under the Internal Revenue Code) or a unit, division, component or wholly controlled subsidiary of such an organization, but in any such case that is exempt from federal income taxes;
- In the judgment of the Council, the organization is of value to the Jewish community, and the programs, activities, and practices of such organization and, if applicable, its units, components, subsidiaries and entities that control the organization, are compatible and do not conflict with JCRC’s mission; and
- Not be a synagogue, minyan or independent spiritual community.
Notwithstanding the foregoing criteria, an organization of Jewish communal professionals that fails to satisfy standards (i), (ii) or (iii) above but otherwise satisfies all other requirements is eligible to be considered for membership.
Process of Membership Application
Organizations desiring JCRC membership shall apply by communication to the Secretary of the Board, who will submit it to the Membership Committee.
Application should include:
- Cover letter explaining interest and rationale for consideration
- A statement attesting to meeting the criteria for membership (as explained above):
- How many years the organization has been in existence;
- How many residents of the area served by CJP are donors, dues paying members and/or voting members (NOTE: the organization does not need to provide an actual list of said individuals)
- That the organization is not a unit or component part of a larger or parent local organization;
- That the organization is a not-for-profit organization that is exempt from federal income taxes; and
- A description of the programs, activities, and practices of the applicant organization (this section may take the form of an annual report, organizational brochures, etc…)
- Contact: Please include both the applicant lead volunteer and lead professional (where relevant)
The Membership Committee shall review the application and report its recommendation and findings (including the proposed number of Organizational Representatives to be assigned to such organization) to the Board within 90 days after receipt of the complete application.* The Board shall review the Membership Committee’s recommendation and forward its own recommendations to the Council at its next scheduled meeting or, if such Board meeting is within 30 days after the receipt of the Membership Committee’s recommendation, then the Board shall take such actions at its immediately following meeting. The Council shall review the recommendation of the Board and act on the application for membership at its next scheduled meeting or if such Council meeting is within 30 days after the receipt of the Board’s recommendation, then the Council shall take such actions at its immediately following meeting. An affirmative vote of two-thirds of the Council Members present and eligible to vote shall be required for approval of an application for membership. If the Council approves the application for membership, the membership of such organization shall be effective immediately. If the Council denies the application, such organization may reapply for membership after a one year period from the date the Council votes to deny the prior application.
Member Representation on JCRC Council
The number of representatives from any member organization (with the exception of CJP) shall not exceed two. The specific number of representatives from any new member organization shall be determined by the Board subject to the approval of the Council.
|Number of Members/Donors||Number of Organizational Representatives|
|250 - 999||1|
|1000 – and above||2|
Member organizations shall designate their representatives on or before April 1. Representatives so designated shall begin their service following the next annual meeting. Representatives shall serve until their successors are chosen. Organizations may change their representatives at any time upon written notice to the Secretary of the JCRC.
The Mission of JCRC
The JCRC is the representative voice of the organized Jewish community. Rooted in Jewish values and informed by Jewish history, JCRC’s mission also reflects the ideals of American democracy. Comprised of constituent organizations, the JCRC:
- serves as a catalyst for building a strong and vibrant Jewish community in Boston and around the world;
- advocates for a safe, secure, Jewish, democratic state of Israel; and
- promotes an American society which is democratic, pluralistic and just
*Article 2.1 C of the JCRC Bylaws states: Notwithstanding an organization’s satisfaction of the Membership Criteria, as set forth in this Article II, the Membership Committee and the Board shall have the discretion to not recommend an organization for membership, and similarly, the Council shall have the absolute discretion to not approve an organization for membership. If an applicant does not satisfy the Membership Criteria set forth in sub-sections 2.1(a)(i), (ii) or (iii), then notwithstanding such failure, the Membership Committee and the Board shall have the absolute discretion to recommend such organization for membership, for compelling reasons as detailed in their respective specific written findings, which findings shall be shared with the Council, and the Council shall have the discretion to approve such recommendation; provided, however that the Membership Committee, Board and Council shall have no discretion to recommend or approve the membership of an organization that does not meet the requirements of sub-section 2.1(a)(iv).